Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Placki z jablkami (Polish Apple Pancakes)

Technically this was suppose to be bento related but the final product didn't make it through the night ;)

Placki z jablkami (Polish Apple Pancakes) are a quick and easy snack.  They also are a great way to use up any extra apples you don't know what to do with or those apples that aren't so pretty.  For me, these little pancakes bring back great childhood memories of my trips to Poland to visit my family and my grandmothers visits to the states to see us.  She'll still make these on request, with very little grumbling now because she says "You know how to make them yourself, you don't need me anymore".  Little does she know, no matter how many times I make them....they just don't taste quite as good as hers. 

Bean has come to love these and I make them for her by request as well.  Which is quite often.  The recipe is as follows hope you enjoy :)

Polish Apple Pancakes

1 c. flour
1 tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg
1 c. milk*
1-2 tbsp. oil (veg or canola)
3-5 medium apples

*This is where some recipes differ.  I've see some use 1/2 c. water & 1/2 c. milk.  Or some use all water.  My grandmother uses 1/2 mineral water or soda water, 1/2 regular water (she says the bubbles act as a leavening agent but I didn't have any on hand).

Peel, core and slice the apples (Put mine in water w/ a little lemon juice b/c I was helping Bean w/ some homework at the time.  This is not a necessary step.  If you do you need to dry the apples off very well before continuing).



Mix all ingredients but the apples and the oil.  Batter should be thick just like a regular pancake batter would.



Heat pan w/ about a tablespoon of oil.  Dunk the apples in the batter place in pan to fry.



Once bubbles start to form the top flip to other side.



Fry on this side until bottom has set (only a few minutes).  Final product should be drained on a paper towel.



Anything can be put on top of these once cooled.  Powdered sugar is most common.

No comments:

Post a Comment